Friday, July 9, 2010

Superman Cake

Tons of OSD work and party planning have certainly kept me busy this week! Who knew planning a b-day party for a 3 year old would be so much work? Tomorrow is the big day for family and friends to cram into my dining and living room for fajitas and a Superman themed birthday party.

The centerpiece of course, is the vintage Superman cake. This vintage Wilton Super Hero cake pan set takes the cake!! (ok, bad pun) This set is actually my mother-in-laws and it's totally made me appreciate how she never throws anything away! She bought this in the seventies to make for my husband when he was a little boy. How cool is it that I get to use the same  cake pan set to for my little boy?

These cake pan sets were all the rage in the late seventies, early eighties. They were made with REAL buttercream icing and every bite melted in your mouth. My MIL made tons of cool cakes for my husband's birthdays. And when I was young, my mom got me these type of character cakes too. Some of my cakes were Holly Hobby, Scooby Doo, and Wonder Woman - she was in a set like this Super Hero set.  And thinking about that cake seriously makes me hope I have a little girl some day so I can make her a Wonder Woman cake!!

Ok, so this is just a sneak peak of what I'm making tomorrow. This is only the 3rd cake I've made like this, so hopefully it comes out just like the picture!! Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment